Proposition 12 - Farm Animals
The text of this measure can be found on the Secretary of State’s website at http://voterguide.sos.ca.gov.)
- Establishes new minimum space requirements for confining veal calves, breeding pigs, and egg-laying hens.
- Requires egg-laying hens be raised in cage-free environment after December 31, 2021.
- Prohibits certain commercial sales of specified meat and egg products derived from animals confined in noncomplying manner.
- Defines sales violations as unfair competition.
- Creates good faith defense for sellers relying upon written certification by suppliers that meat and egg products comply with new confinement standards.